This Is Perfect!

Kyle Shiver INHA

Kyle Shiver INHA

My personal space was invaded last night by a flood of water.

Oh how it rained here on Wilmington Island, and it rained and rained. Our garage typically has water seep beneath the door, and we typically just sweep it out. But this was a whole different ballgame.

The water from a bad rain usually doesn’t come in very far, but last night I saw that it was all the way back beneath my office chair. I went into action, unplugging things, putting guitars and whatever I could, up on the couch or stacked on tables.

I opened the garage door to sweep out the water, and instead of sweeping the water out, I stood there in shock as a river flowed in.

I wasn’t really expecting all that.

In any case, this was my opportunity to do the drill where you figure out your priorities “right now”. A lot of stuff got wet and ruined, but all the pertinent stuff was saved. (I think, anyway) The bins that we keep our recycling in began floating down the driveway. Lots of sticks and pine straw and dirt came in, while discarded post-it notes and other little odds and ends floated out.

So I chased down the recycling bins and shut the door.

I went through the house and out to the front porch, where we have a small area that is covered, and a little chair that we never sit in. And there I sat, though the chair was in three or four inches of water, enjoying the lake in my front yard. I reasoned that there wasn’t much I could do about it, as the rain was still falling relentlessly. I reasoned that if and when the water entered the house, I’d turn off the electricity and wake everyone up.

Luckily, that didn’t happen.

The rain finally slowed down for a while and then stopped. The neighborhood drain system eventually caught up. By 6 a.m. the water had receded (mostly) out of our yard and yes, out of the garage.

The down side of it all is that Heather and I have never had our hands more full. We have both been busy as all get out all summer, and we have just a few more days, that we were planning on enjoying with Lily, before she starts first grade. In other words, I am not looking for things to do. Especially not looking for a garage that I have to take everything out of, rearrange, cart things off to the dump, etc…

Now for the up-side; When I saw the flood of water coming in, I basically was cool as a cucumber. I surrendered. I calmly sat on the front porch awaiting what would happen next and planning what I would do if necessary. Then when the water began to recede, I felt very luck and very grateful that the house its self hadn’t taken on water. That would really really not be fun, and honestly, that happens to people somewhere in the world every day.

I didn’t panic. I didn’t get anxiety and start yelling and freaking out. At one point I actually wished for some fishing gear. After all, it isn’t every day a guy has a chance to fish in a lake that is just outside his front door!

That’s right. I was grateful, and even saw some humor.

I stayed up all night and let Heather sleep in. Lily and I took a walk with our new puppy CoCo, beneath a beautiful morning sky. Maximus the cat and his friend from down the street who’s name is “Socks” joined us on the walk. Lily waded through every puddle she could find, and the puddles were a plenty.

As we walked along, I couldn’t help but think to myself; “This is Perfect!”

This entry was posted in Kyle's Personal Musings, positive thinking, SPIRIT Topic and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
Tommy Grooms, III says:

We (my wife, Brynda and I) live on Whitemarsh Island and it stormed here, too. Thankfully, our home is above ground level and we didn’t have the issues you had to deal with. However, our cats were not happy – Miss Mimi Pawz came to me at 3:30 in the morning (during the storm) and wanted me to go downstairs (our bedroom is upstairs) and give her a reassuring massage to comfort her, while Marmalade went to hide under our bed. Our children are grown and gone and all we have now are our kitty cats as our ‘children.’
It was good to see you and your Dad yesterday at Huc-A-Poo’s in Tybee Island. Y’All left before I had a chance to come over and say ‘Hello!’ To your Dad, but it was nice of you stop by and greet us (Brynda and myself).
Well, I trust that you have ‘dried’ things up and retrieved all that was floating away.
We look forward to seeing and hearing you perform again some time soon. Please keep us up to date on your local engagements. By the way, my youngest daughter’s name is ‘Heather!’ Well, take care of yoursel and your precious family. God Bless You!

Tommy, III and Brynda Grooms

kyle says:

Tommy it is always great to see you and Brynda! We had been gone too long yesterday and had to make an exit, but next time I will make sure to introduce you to my dad. Be well!